Just tested against a CentOS 6 box configured to be in FIPS mode at boot as per
RH's directions and TCN will not start, tossing the same error I saw before in
catalina.out:

Apr 10, 2014 9:01:19 AM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
lifecycleEvent
SEVERE: Failed to initialize the SSLEngine.
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.initializeSSL(AprLifecycleListener.java:269)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent(AprLifecycleListener.java:108)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:142)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:813)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:538)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:562)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:261)

Commenting out line 77 (where the 512 bit RSA key is generated)  allows TCN to
start and run normally.  I don't understand all of the FIPS requirements, but
should execution be allowed to continue if we can generate *any* of the initial
keys rather than requiring all of them?  The logic of the macros in lines 68
through 82 wind up causing the SSL_TMP_KEYS_INIT(r) call at line 692 to fire if
any key init fails, rather than seeing if at least one passes.

I did see in the changelog that BZ 56027 is only partially addressed, in that
the fipsModeGet() method is now available.

-Rob