On 16/05/2014 07:59, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> Hope I didnt miss a thread dealing with it, if so please just redirect me.
>
> Tomcat made the choice to do its own API jars. That's not a big deal
> by itself but wonder why not putting them with all "EE" api jars of
> Apache, ie in geronimo specs subproject:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/

I suspect it stems from the fact the Tomcat was originally the reference
implementation for a number of those.

> It concerns mainly:
> * el
> * websocket
> * jsp
> * servlet
>
> Just to give you a bit more background, this question doesn't come
> from nowhere. In TomEE we use geronimo API for almost everything
> excepted some tomcat provided apis (servlet, jsp) until today. But
> since recent Tomcat 7 got - thanks to Tomcat 8 - a refactoring of EL
> part, geronimo-el and tomcat-el were no more compatible. In other
> words TomEE was broken cause AstValue was refactored and method
> matching more dedicated to BeanELResolver in tomcat but not in
> geronimo.

Doesn't that simply mean that the refactoring in Tomcat has exposed a
bug in the Geronimo EL API?

> Wonder if we should/can try to get something consistent accross ASF.

Assuming that Geronimo is using the Tomcat implementations I wonder why
the project felt the need to produce their own API JARs. Or are they
just (old?) copies taken from Tomcat originally?

> wdyt?

>From experience with re-using components from Commons, Tomcat would
almost certainly want to keep a local copy - even if that was an svn
copy of some common version - else releases can start to experience
noticeable delays waiting on a release of a dependency.