My recollection of history (no doubt biased and inaccurate)….

Geronimo originally needed maven-accessible and plausibly maven-metadata'd
jars, and tomcat was extremely maven-unfriendly at the time (and wasn't set up
to easily consume maven artfiacts). I think we (geronimo) copied the first one
(servlet 2.3??), and I think I recall adding the stuff for at least one of the
later versions myself.

Later on Geronimo needed osgi bundles…

If there's any interest in trying to minimize the number of places spec api
code is kept I still sort of like the idea of it all being in one place, maybe
we could investigate something like giving any other-project committer with
interest in working on a spec jar commit rights in geronimo.  I don't think
spec jar releases have ever been a big timing/delay problem.

thanks
david jencks