Hi Christopher,

WinRAR can create Symlinks on Windows when extracting .tar.gz files (Note that
by default, you need administrative rights to create a Symlink on a NTFS drive).

Although Winrar.exe isn't a command-line tool, you can start it from
command-line to extract a file. Unfortunately, when I try to run this command
from an elevated cmd.exe to extract the OpenSSL source code package, WinRAR
fails to create the Symlinks ("the system cannot find the specified path"):
Start /wait "" "%ProgramFiles%\WinRAR\winrar.exe" x openssl-1.0.1h.tar.gz

However, when opening an elevated Winrar.exe (GUI Version) and extract the
.tar.gz file there, WinRAR successfully creates the symlinks though. Maybe
there is some bug in Winrar so it cannot create symlinks under some conditions.

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer