> Mark,
>
> On 7/1/14, 11:44 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 01/07/2014 16:04, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> With some additional information from Mladen regrading the
>>> build tools to use, I now have a working build environment for
>>> the Tomcat Native connector binaries. This is documented at:
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/BuildTcNativeWin
>>
>> (excluding a working I64 build that I am still looking at)
>
> I just glanced through the current contents of BuildTcNativeWin on
> the wiki, and I can still see this comment:
>
>>> IA64 OpenSSL build failed. Commenting out destest from
>>> ms\nt.mak
> worked around the issue.
>
> The problem is that the tests require a compatible supporting
> architecture.

I don't believe that is the problem. I shouldn't need a supporting
architecture to build the tests (that part that is failing), only to
run them.

> That is, if you cross-compile to IA64 then try to run the tests,
> the tests will fail because you are running on x86_84 and IA64 is
> not available. The same thing will happen if you try to build/test
> on ia32: you can produce x86_64 binaries, but you will be unable to
> test them.

Agreed.

> Therefore, it would be safest to specify in the instructions that
> either x86_64 or IA64 should be used for the build -- that way, at
> least one of the 64-bit architectures can be tested along with the
> 32-bit one. It's also worth mentioning that a 32-bit environment
> would need to comment-out *all* the 64-bit tests, and not just the
> IA64 ones.

I don't believe any of the tests are specifically 32-bit or 64-bit.

> Thanks for continuing to work on this, Mark. I'm glad you've been
> able to remove Cygwin as a requirement... looking at your initial
> build instructions seemed overly complicated -- or at least had
> many more requirements than strictly necessary. I'm not sure how
> much of Mladen's magic environment is strictly necessary, either: I
> think a lot of it could be put into scripts that ship with the
> tcnative source distribution.

Keep in mind that these are build instructions for a completely clean
OS install so there are a number of tools lists that I would normally
expect to be present on a developers machine.

In terms of how much of this is necessary, experience suggests that
most of it is required to avoid having to install a Visual C Runtime
distribution. If you are prepared to do that (or more specifically
prepared to make your users do that) then yes, this could get a lot
simpler. Personally, I'm in favour of making the release manager jump
through a few hoops rather than making our users jump through hoops.

> I am still going to continue to work on getting all this stuff to
> build using Microsoft Visual Studio Express: it should be possible
> to do, and I *have* been able to get a 32-bit build working. But
> these days, I think not having a 64-bit build available is not a
> practical solution, of course.

I'm not sure it is possible to build with Visual Studio Express
without introducing a dependency on a Visual C Runtime distribution
but if you can find a way around that issue that would be great.