I've been looking at this again (anything to get a break from writing
parsers for cookies) and chatting with some of the infra folks that look
after the ASF's git repos.

There are a couple of things we need to do:
a) decide how we want to organise development in git
b) decide if we want to move to git

Now the decision we make for a) might influence some folks to make a
different decision for b). On the other hand, there is no point debating
a) if we are never going to move.

So, how do folks want to approach this?
A: Vote to move to git and then figure out how best to use it? or
B: Agree our git workflows and then have a vote on moving to git with
those workflows?

I'm leaning towards A myself.