What about having something like this?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1459144/tomee_git.jpg

* master is the place we push bleeding edge stuff.
* 1.7.x is stable and will never get back to master. We create our current
release tags (bug fixes, tomcat upgrades etc) out of it.
* 2.x.x is stable and contains code out of master (rebase). During release,
we rebase this branch, create auxiliary branches out of it for voting
purposes. Once the voting passes, we merge it back to 2.x.x, create the
release tag out of 2.x.x and delete the auxiliary branch.

[]s,
Thiago.