:

> [...]
> > > order (in terms of your post).
> > >
> > > -- Reverting commits.
> > >
> > > I've seen the reverts - I also note that other than on a JIRA ticket,
> > there
> > > was zero conversation on the dev@ list. This isn't the first time that
> > > this
> > > has happened, and in my opinion, is fundamentally wrong. If there is a
> > > genuine need to revert something, you need to post to the dev@ list,
> > call
> > > out the commit, and say why it needs reverting. The person proposing
> the
> > > revert should be prepared to have a should we "roll-back or
> fail-forward"
> > > conversation in the community, and not simply take it upon themselves
> > > make that choice. Folks might be wondering why we need to do this (I
> > think
> > > there is a perception that their mail might not be read, so why bother
> > > posting) - reasons are simple:
> > >
> > > * Encourage discussion and contribution - discuss the specific issues.
> > What
> > > stopped working? Does the committer know what they broke, or what the
> > > reason for proposing a roll-back is
> > > * Co-ordinate - if something breaks in a commit, deciding who's going
> > > help fix what might be better than rolling back
> > > * Educate - is there a process where something in staging becomes live
> > > automatically? Is that what we tried to avoid this time? Is there a
> > better
> > > way to build the site and stage it for peer review?
> > >

> > FYI
> > http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Fwd-svn-commit-r18
> > 00091-in-tomee-site-trunk-content-content-admin-content-admi
> > n-cluster-content-admi-td4681967.html
> > was intented to host that discussion (and not pollute jira)
> >
> > Note that it is what happent most of the time, not sure why these dev
> mails
> > are missed.
> >

> That's now been pointed out to me twice since I posted this. Actually saw
> and read that post before posting. If you think that constitutes a clear
> discussion, and justifies your actions - sorry, but I'm afraid I could not
> disagree more:
>
> * You replied to commit. Yes that hits the dev@ list, but was the shortest
> possible thing you could have done, and in reality had almost no
> visibility. However, you didn't change the title, so at a glance, its hard
> to distinguish from the commit messages themselves. To answer your question
> - this is most probably why they are missed. Do you really think "Fwd: svn
> commit: r1800091 - in /tomee/site/trunk: content/ content/admin/
> content/admin/cluster/ content/admin/configuration/ content/advanced/
> content/advanced/applicationcomposer/ content/advanced/client/
> content/advanced/jms/ content/advanced/shading/ co..." is a good subject?
> How about "Please don't push these website changes to production". Or
> "[DISCUSS] [REVERT] breaking website change"?

Fair enough, noted!

> * Your single line message "Please don't publish this, it breaks existing
> links which is pby sthg we don't want to do now. Pinged Ivan about it",
> tells us very little. You make no mention that you intend to revert it, and
> very minimal information on what the issue is. How are we supposed to
> discuss it if we don't know what the issue is? Side note - I don't know how
> well people with less English knowledge get on with the abbreviation of
> "probably something". This is just a suggestion, but I'd avoid the
> abbreviation of those words on your already very short message.

Yep, at that time there was an implicit assumption based on the dev thread
which was the patch would be discussed before being applied. Guess I was in
this mind when forwarded the mail/

> * You "pinged" Ivan - privately, I assume. I have no visibility of that.
> Why not just post it on dev@ and have the discussion in the open. Maybe
> we'll all learn and improve and collaborate as a result. Maybe we'll appear
> as a more welcoming community. The private conversation is exactly what we
> should avoid.

Fair too, just thought it was directed comments so didnt need to be shared
and bother others with it.

> * If I have read commit emails correctly, your revert (which actually shows
> _before_ your post to dev@ in my mailbox, by the way), your revert commit
> happened within 60 seconds of your post. Not exactly a lot of time to
> enable a conversation, is it?

This was not the intent, intent was to show that the operation was intended
and open the discussion if needed (= if reading it you understand why then
no need to discuss and we just need to polish the patch on the thread +
jira).