Agreed.  If there's something that can be done to help them and the time to do
it fits in the target window, that should be the first attempt.

In a rare case a project may even accept help for the actual release.
WebServices project made me committer in 2006 so I could cut Axis 1.4 that was
needed by Geronimo 1.1.  I've only experience that once, however.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins