Hi level is this is new to me as well, so I have limited answers.  I was
intimately involved in our previous Apache CMS implementation, but I'm only
three weekend's worth of time into this new one.

> On Dec 11, 2018, at 8:58 AM, Frankie <kamin.feuer.2...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> while working on "tomee-site-generator" I saw that there were lots of error
> messages (before I made changes ...), but running the site was successful.
> So these error message (see above) can be ignored?

I don't know the impact of them.  I have see errors in individual docs, due to
missing headers and largely fixed those, but there are still two or three that
are affected.  We may want to fail the build if any docs don't render because
otherwise I'm not sure we'll ever notice.

> Questions:
> - There is a File doc.adoc but the content of the generated docs.html is
> looks completely different. I saw that obviously data is fetched from a git
> repo. Does this overwrite the content of docs.html? So the file docs.adoc
> could be removed?

IMO, docs.adoc can be removed.

> - It seems, the files of the old website are still present in folder "dev"
> as a result of Davids merge activity. The information on these should be
> included/moved to new pages and then the old ones could be removed, right?

Correct that merging the old and new websites is not yet complete and still
needs significant work.

Status is I moved all content from the Apache CMS and split it into two places:

 A.
https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/tree/master/src/main/jbake/content/
 B. https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/master/docs/

I've updated all the content in B to fix issues preventing it from rendering:

 - rename .mdtext -> .md
 - add JBake headers (title=blah,~~~~~~)

That still needs to be done with A before it will render.  Once that is done,
pages like this will render with the new template and css.

 - http://tomee.apache.org/dev/creating-itests.html

At some point, for any of this to be considered done, we'll need to go in and
clear out the *.mdtext files here so there's no confusion on what the source of
truth is.

 - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomee/site/trunk/content

Note on "/dev" specifically, the concept of that was basically "stuff for the
community" as opposed to "tech docs tied to a release", so potentially all of
that content could go into the /community/ folder. Things like
"contribution-tips.mdtext" are getting now actively developed in the
"/community/" folder, so duplication is increasing.

> - Apart from
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Merging-Old-and-New-Websites-td4685488.html
> is there a descritpion how this site builder is working?

This is the only source of information I'm aware of:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator

I've spent a bit of time at the jbake.org website as well trying to get up to
speed.

> Error messages:
> - Class org.apache.tomee.website.Downloads has errors but is not used?
>  => could be removed?

I haven't had any time to look at that code or what it produces.

> - Lots of error messages like:
>  asciidoctor: ERROR: <stdin>: line 28: only book doctypes can contain level
> 0 sections

Same.

> - While reading contributor information?:
>  javax.ws.rs.client.ResponseProcessingException: Problem with reading the
> data, class org.apache.tomee.website.Contributors$Gravatar, ContentType:
> application/json.
>  No gravatar for mn...@apache.org

I have some limited experience here.  When the new site went up only six people
were listed as contributors.  My first contribution/exposure to the new site
infrastructure was to re-add everyone else:

 -
https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-ng/commit/dd0a373f1282272f0e3fcabc06f2606bec866acd
 -
https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-ng/commit/680bf291f84e95d0519138a2f414fe34f1ab8726

So I've tweaked that code, but I don't know what may have broke on it now.  It
definitely is a section of the website that needs love. I personally think we
should be listing *every* who has contributed any code, committer or not.
We've now got 46 awesome individuals shown here and I think each one should be
on the main tomee.apache.org site:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee/graphs/contributors

In my mind, that whole thing could get rewritten.

A final quick I only just noticed in writing this email is it seems we changed
repositories at one point, so lost the code history:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-ng    (dec 2016 - jul 2017)
 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator (jul 2017 - now)

Not sure why we did that.  Clearly Jonathan's commit on Jul 24, 2018 to
`tomee-site-ng` was an attempt to update the site and he didn't know the repo
had changed to `tomee-site-generator`

We'll either want to delete that old repo or yank the README.adoc contents and
simply put "This repo has been replaced by " and add a link to the
`tomee-site-generator` repo.

Thank you for interest in helping in any way you can.  You and I both share the
desire to get this in good shape and keep it there.  I wouldn't describe our
current situation as ideal, but I'm very happy we're making huge improvements.
Any help at all is great.

I think the right mindset in this is to assume everything needs love and
attention.  You've definitely got a great eye -- your questions are sharp.  If
something looks a little off, assume you're probably right and start thinking
on how to fix it and post that.

That's basically what I'm doing :)

-David