If you're looking for ways to contribute, a very very ... very major way is to
help review PRs.

We currently have 27 open PRs:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pulls

You do not need special permission, authority or to be someone of "high regard"
or any such nonsense to help review PRs.  Your very first contribution to the
project could be to give another first contributor a bit of positive or
constructive feedback in their PR.

In an ideal world, this is exactly what happens.

Think of how excited you get when you file your PR.  You may go back and click
reload on the page all day and for the next two days till eventually you stop
checking and just wait to be notified.

You have the power to give other people that magical feeling of getting quick
feedback over their hard work.

Let's imagine two kinds of contributor and ask ourselves which is the more
valuable person:

 - Jane has reviewed 10 PRs
 - Joe has submitted 10 PRs

Jane is hands down more valuable and I would vote her into the project as
committer far before Joe.  I would do that even if Jane did not have one commit
of her own.

Of course there are philosophical reasons such as Jane is showing she is
concerned for others, wants to help new people and is overall focused on
building the community around the project.  She is putting others above herself.

But there is also math at play.  For every Joe you need a Jane or PRs don't get
in.  In practice, Janes are in very short supply.  In our current state, there
are 27 Joes and very few Janes.

If you want to have a major impact in just an hour or two a week, your todo
list is not JIRA, it's right here:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pulls

--
David Blevins