Alright, here are some build times for the runs I've done.  Results are quite
varied.

c1.xlarge : [INFO] Total time:  03:59 h
t2.medium : [INFO] Total time:  05:05 h
t2.xlarge : [INFO] Total time:  02:30 h
t3.medium : [INFO] Total time:  03:21 h
my.laptop : [INFO] Total time:  01:56 h

Specs for the AWS instances are public.  Here are the stats for my laptop:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

I did try some other AWS instance types, but anything with 2GB or less failed
due to out of memory issues.  I'd be interested to try some other types,
particularly the AMD-based types.

Anyway long story short: yes, our build could be faster with better hardware.
Just not very clear what that hardware should be.

-David