Hi all,

It's been a couple of months since it started. It never really landed but
it's getting more and more obvious that there is absolutely no desire to
keep the Geronimo project.

The goal of this email isn't really to discuss the reasons or argue if it
should or not disappear, but more to discuss the impacts for TomEE itself.
If you want to argue or discuss, you are more than welcome to do it on the
Geronimo mailing list.

We do use from the Geronimo project (not exhaustive list, but good start)

- specs jars - they are mostly outdated and not sure anyone will do the
jakarta translation. Is it still useful now that Jakarta is at Eclipse to
have our own APIs? (used by other projects at Apache)

- Activation and Mail - maybe a good opportunity to create a
tomee-activation and a tomee-mail project and take the source for jakarta
translation (used by other projects at Apache)

- Connector and Transaction Manager - same we could grab those and create a
specific project tomee-connector and tomee-transaction (used by other
projects at Apache)

- BatchEE - to become tomee-jbatch

- xbean - low level libraries but it's a critical part in many aspects of
TomEE. It can also become tomee-xbean (used by other projects at Apache)

- MP implementation - they will most likely be moved to dormant so the code
remains accessible and it can be revived at any time

Note that for simplicity, we could create a tomee-foo with submodules so we
could have all projects under the same github project. They do not have the
same lifecycle so I went one-to-one at first glance.

Maybe some of them (or all) could also be TomEE submodules in the current
tree. I'm just concerned that for modules that don't leave too much, we
will have the build to become more complex and also take more time which is
already an issue. I'd be tempted to look at TomEE and extract parts that
don't leave too much or with a different lifecycle into their own project.

Thoughts?
--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro