On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:21:24 +0200
Jussi Pakkanen <jpakk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No I did not, but despite that it somewhat harsh to imply that CMake
> is hard to get or install. Getting it is roughly as hard as getting a
> compiler (buying full registered versions of MSVC notwithstanding).
On unix/linux this point is indeed pretty much moot as those all have a
decent package management, making the installation of all prerequisites
a simple oneliner. As always, Windows is still in need of special care.
Just take a look at:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows#software_requirements
The amount of click-trough installers needed to get a build environment
on Windows is disgusting. Yes, CMake is trivial to install on current
platforms, but this stuff keeps adding up. Of course, currently cygwin
makes the installation of prerequisites quite easy.
And then there is the point of portability: While CMake is portable,
GNU make will be on any platform you can dream up ASAP as it is part
of the GNU toolchain and gcc is build with it.

> There is also "Pure CMake". But as I said earlier, it is probably
> smarter to first go "CMake + Unix" and then transition to pure CMake.
You are severely underestimating the dark magic done in the build
system (mostly concentrated in a few "ugly" modules"), if you believe
all current ops can be done in "Pure CMake". There are some pretty
mystical textprocessing operations done using sed, awk, perl etc.
throughout the build. Going for "Pure CMake" is going to be a lot of
work and is spoiled if it cant be completed as there is little worth in
"mostly pure CMake". To request resources for such a project on the
prospect that it "will probably work out" is unlikely to work out
with any of the big supporters of OOo.

BR,

Bjoern

 Sitz der Gesellschaft:
 Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
 Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels