Luciano Resende wrote:
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Dan Becker <dan.o.bec...@gmail.com> wrote:
Luciano Resende wrote:
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Dan Becker <dan.o.bec...@gmail.com> wrote:
Luciano Resende wrote:
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Dan Becker <dan.o.bec...@gmail.com>
wrote:
This is a good proposal Luciano. I like the idea of "branching" the
docs.
Just as the Sun JDKs provide versioned docs from the 1.0 days to the
current
1.6 days, I too would like to see versioned Tuscany docs.

In addition to versioned wiki spaces, we might want to think about
versioned
public pages. Right now there is an export plugin that moves the wiki
pages
to the external site html pages. Perhaps we need to branch the tuscany
web
site so there would be a "latest" html snap shot at
http://tuscany.apache.org and earlier "versioned" html snap shots,
perhaps
at http://tuscany.apache.org/1.4, etc.

What problem are you trying to solve here ? Confluence is much like
SVN and provides a change history for each page. Would that be ok for
website ?
I am thinking more along the line of what the user sees for the Tuscany
website after the wikis are exported to the world. Is the user going to
see
several site versions, e.g:
http://tuscany.apache.org  (latest)
http://tuscany.apache.org/1.5 (previous release)
http://tuscany.apache.org/1.4 (previous release)

Or is the user going to see several article versions on one site?, e.g.:
http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-user-guide.html (latest)
http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-user-guide-1.5.html (previous version)
http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-user-guide-1.4.html (previous version)

What kind of release specific information do you think we are going to
have in the website, if we remove the documentation out to the wikis ?

I don't propose removing documentation from the wikis or changing any part
of your proposal for the wikis on the thread.

I am just wondering what the version scheme will look like when the various
files reach the web site. What will customers see? Where will a customer
look for articles of the 1.x flavor versus the articles of the 2.x flavor?

Haaa, I think I got your question now, we would have something (but
probably not exactly) like this :

http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html

Or just a link on our website pointing to the wiki documentation

Excellent example! I like their organization. Notice for example that the developers guide follows this kind of structure for the HTML pages:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/devguide/
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/devguide/

This is similar to the idea I prefered above:

--
Thanks, Dan Becker