Simon,  like you mentioned, the original thinking must simply be that
in most cases, the right thing to do is transform the contents of one
array into the contents of the resulting array.

I just wanted to chime in and ask if it might be worth trying to use
the transformer weight mechanism to make a direct array->JSON
conversion a higher-priority transform than a transformer chain which
includes Array2Array.
I admit I'm a little fuzzy as to precisely how to do that.   Also, I
think this would have to make sense for array->JSON conversions, in
general, not just from this particular binding... not sure if this is
the case or not.

Still, I wonder if this avenue is worth a try?

Scott