Hi Raymond,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Raymond Feng <cyberf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Dishara.
>
> Thank you for the interest. I'll elaborate more on the idea.

Thank you very much for the detailed description.

I went through the tuscany distributed runtime wiki once and got an
understanding(may be have to go through again ;) ). Seems it got a good
architecture to distribute the existing domain registry.

> There is a SCA domain concept in Tuscany, which is a service registry of
> metadata about all the components and policies. A composite application can
> have components running on different machines and they can be wired to each
> other using remote bindings within the SCA domain. From the runtime
> perspective, Tuscany uses the domain registry to resolve the wirings
> between components.
>
> Tuscany has two types of implementation of the domain registry at this
> point:
>
> 1) Local registry (which only knows the local endpoints). It can be
> extended to use local files to describe remote endpoints in the node.xml.
> 2) Multicast based registry on top of Tomcat Tribes or Hazelcast.

 So we probably not going to use either any of above two domain registry
implementations, but the centralized registry. (which I assumed as another
registry impl).

> In a typical enterprise environment, the multicast doesn't work well due
> to networking constraints. A more useful infrastructure is that we have
> centralized registry with HA configurations (such as master/slave). Apache
> ZooKeeper and Redis can be used for these purposes. The project will  be
> mostly implement the DomainRegistry SPI [2].

As far as I understand, we'll be using a suitable domain registry
implementation to distribute among ZooKeeper nodes. And as the wiki stands,
Tuscany will not go for JVM clustering, but a higher level clustering
solution.

This project will have following main targets.
- Identify/implement how nodes (in the distributed environment) should be
modeled to form a SCA component.
- Integrate the nodes to meet the above requirement through a distributed
platform (ZooKeeper).
 (And integration of nodes should be done by tuscany SCA bindings on top of
Apache ZooKeeper nodes)
 At the end of the day this will create a bridge between ZooKeeper nodes
and SCA components.

Also  +1 for Apache ZooKeeper.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood the requirement or any feedback
will be great full. This is a really interesting project.
But I am not quite aware of the scope of this exactly in details .

> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANYWIKI/distributed-runtime.html
> [2]
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-2.x/trunk/modules/core-spi/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/runtime/DomainRegistry.java
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond
>
> On Mar 11, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Dishara Wijewardana wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > This is regarding the project idea "Develop a distributed domain
> registry using Apache ZooKeeper, Redis, or Memcache".
> >
> > I am interested in applying for this SoC program and I saw the JIRA[1]
> project idea for Apache Tuscany. I have played with Tuscany and already
> > had hands on experience with creating Tuscany SCA components in webapps
> and using the callback method and etc (the framework is very helpful
> > when communicating between front end and back end).
> >
> > I would like to work on the project "Develop a distributed domain
> registry using Apache ZooKeeper, Redis, or Memcache" .
> > These days I started looking in to Apache ZooKeeper and get familiar
> with it.
> >
> > It will be nice if I can get to know some details(what is the expected
> scope, what things need to be looked before hand, and etc) of this project
> idea, so that I can prepare well for the project.
> >

> > Thanks
> > /Dishara

Thanks
/Dishara