My general feeling: anytime we make something "public" it becomes "set in
stone".  So, it is best not to make things public ahead of clear
needs/use-cases.  That way, if at some point in the future, we find we now have
a clear use-case for the loadBinary kind of thing, we can implement it then,
without any worries about backwards compatibility :-).

Kind of a "lazy" API creation, I guess.

-Marshall