I'm guessing that realistically, there will be a transition period for migration
to happen to V3 (many reasons, including the fact that new stuff may come with
new bugs that get fixed over time...).

Here's some thinking about how to **not** have two versions of dependent
big-projects like uimaFIT and Ruta.

The goal: have one "trunk" for dependent big-projects, where the resulting build
artifacts could work with both UIMA v2 or v3.

The main issue I think is that the output JAR artifacts would need to be in two
sets because of these differences:

  1. one requiring Java 7 and the other, Java 8.
  2. one having JCasGen classes for v2, the other for v3

(1) could be eliminated by moving the base projects to Java 8 as a minimum.
This might not be too much of a burden on our user community?  Java 7 support
(public updates) ended Apr 2015, although users can (and do) purchase support
contracts for 4, 7, or more years.

(2) might be managed by having 2 modules within the big projects, for example
using names like ruta-jcasgen-v2 and ruta-jcasgen-v3, and having maven build
both of them.

  (1) could also be managed this way - by having Jar-producing modules have two
versions of built artifacts (for example, ruta-core-v2 and ruta-core-v3).

When a user wants to run with a particular version, they would need a way to
order the two Jars (or select just the right Jar).

Other ideas?
-Marshall