On Jan 31, 2007, at 1:52 AM, Will Glass-Husain wrote:

Hi,

Knew I'd be unpopular the moment I hit send.

You did the right thing. This is what the oversight processes here at the ASF are about.

Three quick notes.

1) don't think the changes are big.  But I think the distro should be
reviewed and fixed.  A bad hyperlink on the main menu, in our first
release in 3 years, looks sloppy and conveys an inaccurate impression
of the quality of our product.

2) Unlike V-tools, we did not have a test build.  Instead, the final
package was created with the choice "vote yes, or delay the release".
I don't like it.

That's why I advocate having no manual steps to re-create the release. If you are lucky, you have everything happen in HEAD. Then, tag *that*, and do misc tweaks if needed.

Also, the "vote or delay" was simply due to special circumstances, not regular practice.

3) I'd be happy to vote +1 if we could call this Velocity 1.5rc1.  But
given the historic significance of this release, I urge us to release
"Velocity 1.5" in a professional distro without obvious errors.    (no
need to immediately issue Velocity 1.5.1).

I think an rc1 should be as perfect as much as possible as well - calling it RC means (to me) -" this is what we'd like to release, anything obvious we missed?" and engage the public on it. That's what we used to do, IIRC, around here :)

So yeah, this could be RC1, but to do that, I'd prefer to see something sane done like

    velocity/engine/branches/1.5
                   tags/1.5RC1

and have that released w/ RC1 in the right places. Then we wait until Henning gets back from lounging about for 6 weeks :) fix anything the community found, and go for 1.5

geir

best,
WILL

On 1/30/07, Nathan Bubna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 1/30/07, Will Glass-Husain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Reluctantly, I vote -1.

:(

> I tested the release. It compiled fine, ant test ran fine under JDK > 1.5 and 1.6, worked with Velocity Tools 1.2. But when I checked all
> the hyperlinks, the anakia page was missing.  There's an error when
> generating the page and it was left out of the distribution [1].

C'mon.  Anakia's documentation is anything but hard to find.  I'm all
for getting things right, but not for holding back releases based on
one missing doc.  I'd rather you let Henning release 1.5 now and
release 1.5.1 yourself next week.

> I'm concerned about two things. I'm concerned about a prominent bad > link on the main menu, and I'm concerned the last minute "vote on the > final release" might not have uncovered additional problems. We've a
> chance to make a major impression on the Java world with this
> prominent release and I want this to be very smooth installation for
> both new users and the typical existing user who wants to upgrade.

We can't cower in fear of unknown bugs.  Fix what you know and care
about, then let's get this thing moving again.

> My recommendation is to delay the release until there's time to fix
> these doc issues and for more thorough testing. Mid-March seems fine.
>  For the "shallow bugs" theory to work, we need to issue a "release
> candidate" that everyone can work with.  This doesn't need to be an
> actual release, just a binary distribution we can test. After a few
> weeks we should be assured the details are 100% set.

How about two betas and a test build?  That's what we've had.  This
release has had much time to prepare.  More time won't kill us, but
let's not pretend things are ever likely to be 100% set. Trust me, if
i cared enough, i could start combing thru the docs of almost any
major project you like and find dozens of errors.  Same goes for most
code.   Final releases will never be perfect, but the "shallow bugs"
theory won't work if we don't get *them* out there.  Far fewer people
bother with release candidates and betas.

> Incidentally, I disagree with Henning's comment that the beta2 had no > errors. Actually, beta2 had a serious error in the build process in
> which "ant test" failed when run from the actual distribution.  It
> worked from the source distribution but not the released package. No
> one found this problem for a month.

And it's fixed, is it not?

> I can't adequately express my admiration of Henning's efforts in the
> last 6 months to get this out. This must be frustrating.  I take
> responsibility myself for not thinking through the implications of the > release process when Henning proposed a month ago we issue a release
> at the end of January.

Taking responsibility in the open source world means only one thing,
if you ask me.  Doing the work.  If you're going to take
responsibility for this by re-doing this whole process to your
satisfaction either by repeating the 1.5 test build and vote or by
letting 1.5 go and releasing a 1.5.1, then i won't protest.  But
please don't just sit back and critique at the last minute.   That's
not just frustrating, it's obnoxious.

> However, the good news is that the recent momentum was effective. We > are right at the doorway to a new release with many new features. The
> code is branched and close to perfect.

it is not close to perfect, nor will it ever be, but i believe it will
get better faster if you don't obsess about it being perfect.