--- Nathan Bubna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 6/1/07, Matt Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi--you will find me to be a complete novice to
> > Velocity and Anakia; nevertheless I have come to
> spoil
> > the fun.  ;)  Actually I feel like my timing is
> pretty
> > good as I have come to talk about further changes
> > the recent Anakia refactorings:  I say my timing
> is
> > good because it appears the changes to which I
> refer
> > were made post-1.0 and therefore further
> refactoring
> > will not result in backward compatibility issues
> > (please advise if I am mistaken about this).
>
> not quite sure what you mean.  it's hard to tell if
> further
> refactoring will cause BC issues without know what
> the refactoring
> involves.  in any case, we could always do an Anakia
> 2.0, if the
> further refactoring was sufficient to warrant it.

My thought process was that Anakia as a standalone
class has not yet been released into the wild, so no
matter what is done to it there are no BC issues.  An
Ant 1.7-compatible Anakia task would probably indicate
Anakia v2.0.

> > I'll take this brief moment to--possibly
> > unnecessarily--introduce myself (I think several
> of
> > the key Velocity players are familiar to me from
> the
> > jakarta and commons dev lists).  I am a Jakarta
> > (commons) committer as well as a member of the Ant
> > PMC.  I have begun looking into Anakia recently
> and
> > with my Ant hat on I'd like to make some
> suggestions.
> > I would provide my suggestions in the form of
> patches
> > but I'm unfortunately not yet clueful enough wrt
> > Anakia/Velocity codebases.
>
> we can help there.  anything in particular you'd
> like to know?

I see.  You're gonna go "smart questions" on me.  ;)

> > With all that out of the way, to the one or two or
> you
> > who may still be paying attention:  I'm sure it
> should
> > surprise no one for me to accuse the AnakiaTask of
> > being very old-school Ant; it predates my use of
> Ant
> > (let alone my actual involvement).  For BC
> reasons, at
> > least for now, that's fine; however, with the
> Anakia
> > class having been recently extracted from the
> > AnakiaTask, I see no reason whatsoever that the
> Anakia
> > processor itself cannot be written in a more
> abstract
> > way.  In particular I'd like to discuss the idea
> of
> > reusing Velocity's Resource (and related)
> concept(s)
> > here, giving the Ant task more responsibilty with
> > regard to providing Ant (small 'r') resources in
> terms
> > of Velocity Resources.  This would allow the
> > AnakiaTask v1.x to remain compatible with Ant 1.6
> > (possibly/probably earlier versions but that's the
> > version in the POM), while allowing other clients
> of
> > the Anakia processor to be more agile,
> particularly by
> > permitting the use of non-file resources.
> >
> > A directly related issue is that Ant 1.7.0 and
> beyond
> > greatly extend Ant's own Resource concept such
> that
> > adapters from Ant Resources to Velocity Resources,
> and
> > related other adapters, should be fairly trivial
> > write:  a 1.7-specific AnakiaTask could be quite
> an
> > advance over the current implementation in terms
> of
> > capability.
>
> not that Anakia or Ant are my fortes, but this
> sounds like a good way to go.

Glad to hear it.

> > My initial investigation into the Anakia/Velocity
> code
> > indicates that there may be some Velocity-specific
> > idiosyncrasies with regard to ResourceLoader
> > configuration, etc., so I have as yet been unable
> > determine the correct steps to take in modifying
> the
> > Anakia processor class to use Resources.  I
> present my
> > case here hoping for some direction from
> experienced
> > Velocity developers.
>
> sure.  got any specific questions here? or are you
> looking for a
> general primer on Velocity ResourceLoaders?

Sort of the latter, yes.  There simply seems to be a
lot of magic involved; I've seen implications that
only one e.g. "file" ResourceLoader can be active for
a VelocityEngine, and similar things that strike me
funny.  If there is a current "Resource guru" in
Velocity-land who could provide an overview, that
would certainly be welcome.  Quick looks at the
ResourceManagerImpl didn't leave me with a strong
impression of what level of customization is intended
to be supported.

-Matt