On 6/3/07, Matt Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Nathan Bubna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip/>
> The last thing that might be handy to know is that
> you can also feed
> an already instantiated ResourceLoader into the
> system (rather than
> have it be loaded and instantiated by class name).
> If you want more
> details on that, ask away. :)

This is the most interesting thing to me--it seems
like a reasonable assertion to say that other APIs
intending to use Velocity under the covers would be
justified in doing things in as much a Java-centric,
and consequently as little a Velocity-centric way, and
being able to easily set up the ResourceLoader without
having to rely too much on Velocity's internal
machinery would seem to significantly decrease the
ramp-up time to productivity.  IOW, I would definitely
like to know more about this subject.  :)

ok, i haven't used this myself; i've only noticed it in the code.  so,
this may be trickier than it seems.  but here's what i see...

create or instantiate your ResourceLoader subclass...

ResourceLoader fooLoader = new FooResourceLoader();

get a handle for the Properties file you'll be using to call
velocityEngine.init(properties) with.

then, *before* you call velocityEngine.init(properties) do:

properties.setProperty("resource.loader", "foo");
properties.put("foo.resource.loader.instance", fooLoader);

then you can call velocityEngine.init(properties);

the ResourceManagerImpl should then find your ready-to-go resource
loader instance and use that.