Claude,

I have tested the fix and it now works, thanks.

##

One thing now is I cannot get the log into debug mode.  I use
commons-logging with log4j and the log4j-slf4j-impl as a bridge.

<logger name="org.apache.velocity" level="DEBUG" additivity="false">
   <appender-ref ref="RollingFile" />
</logger>

Other jars that use slf4j will log to debug ok.

The notes mention runtime.log.instance= maybe I need to set something here?