Robert . wrote:
However, Internet explorer doesn't understand the application/xml
header, which means that we have to serve xhtml files with text/html.
And that makes firefox use the html parser, which considers <div/> an
open tag, even though it's not true.

Yes, IE does not understand application/xml.
And that is why I suspect that rule 4.3 exists. So that xhtml 1.0 could be
server to IE, and the result would be equivalent as serving html 4.01.

Of course, we could serve stuff just to firefox using "application/xml+xhtml", but then that triggers a raft of different firefox bugs, many of which have been open for years, precisely because no one really uses that so there's not much urgency to fix them. ;-)

Regards,

Al