Martin Grigorov wrote:
@Erik: it'd be interesting to be at a course of jWeekend where you'll
explain to the attendees "Wicket consists of components, models, ... and
the basic model is Locator (and all implementations end with **Model)".
I'll find it confusing. I hope Wicket 1.5 will not rename all existing Model implementations.
See earlier threads about this. Martin did not come with this suggestion out of the blue. Just a brief summary: in any non-Wicket application the term 'model' refer to objects containing business data, often entities. In Wicket apps these are called model-objects. So, Wicket's models are not really 'model's but a 'proxy', a 'locator' or whatever that hide the 'real' model.

So I would explain something like: "Wicket consist of components and locators (and all implementations of locator end with **Locator as they have been renamed too). The locators provide access to your business data, the models."

And then I would go: "For those that still work with pre-1.5 this will be hellishly confusing as they were mistakenly called model and model-object before."

Jeremy Thomerson wrote:
I think he meant rename IModel to Locator.  I think that Locator or
DataProxy or something more accurately describes it
I like DataProxy too.
(nobody ever understands
IModel right off the bat).  But I don't think changing it is worth the costs
it would incur.
Well, if we can drop the 'I', we could drop IModel as well....
But you are right, it is a big change /which can only be done if there is a good migration path/.

So lets please go to the original subject and forget about this.

Regards,
   Erik.

--
Erik van Oosten