Am 20.09.11 13:11, schrieb Pointbreak:
I'm completely agreeing with Martin on this one. The things you are
suggesting imho have the following consequences:
- Wicket implementation becomes way more complicated, because Wicket has
to translate between component hierarchy and browser DOM-tree, which is
non-trivial, and requires a lot of extra server side processing.

just a rough idea and not a single implementation yet but we know how hard it is to compute?

- User implementation becomes substantially more complicated because one
way or another, the user has to give hints to Wicket how eventual
client-side javascripts not managed by wicket are manipulating the
DOM-tree (which by the way is easy to break between browsers, as
DOM-trees for the same HTML may differ substantially between browsers).

thats a problem either way - ever tried to integrate third party JS with wicket?

- Bugs in the user implementation are substantially harder to track than
a forgotten setOutputMarkupId(true) in the current API.

sure?

- This will break existing API functionality and code in a big way.

thats the reason were talking about wicket.next and not wicket.now - and api breaks will at some point come else wicket can't go forward....

And all that for not having a few extra setOutputMarkupId(true) calls?

If setOutputmarkupId bothers you that much, it's easy to write a visitor
that just calls it for all your components...

now honestly - thanks for not ready anything in the long posts before;

the reason why I'd favor such a thing is that it makes wicket able to ajaxify *any* component. Current ajax won't work on all current core components - thats it. There is a reason why Martin wanted to completely rewrite wicket ajax a time back and it wasn't that he had too much leisure time....