I see. Also the two DateTextField have no functional difference. This is in short what I would do:

Remove:
/wicket-datetime/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/datetime/DateConverter.java

Move to wicket-utils:
/wicket-datetime/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/datetime/PatternDateConverter.java
/wicket-datetime/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/datetime/StyleDateConverter.java

Move to wicket-extensions:
/wicket-datetime/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/datetime/markup/html/basic/DateLabel.java

Merge wicket-datetime DateTextField into the existing wicket-extensions DateTextField. The first one has a DateConverter as constructor parameter which is used internally instead of a more generic IConverter<Date>. it would be nice to have single component with the same constructors of the existing two.

What do you think?