Yes. We came across this issue while testing G-Reg 4.0.0 release and then
the solution given was to use fullstops instead of spaces. In fact, in
latest G-Reg packs, the default ServiceLifeCycle has a state in this format.

:
<state id="Production">
                    <datamodel>
                        <data name="transitionExecution">
                            <execution forEvent="Demote"
class="org.wso2.carbon.governance.registry.extensions.executors.DemoteActionExecutor">
                            </execution>
                            <execution forEvent="Publish"
class="org.wso2.carbon.governance.registry.extensions.executors.apistore.ApiStoreExecutor">
                            </execution>
                        </data>
                    </datamodel>
                    <transition event="Publish" target="
Published.to.APIStore"/>
                    <transition event="Demote" target="Testing"/>
                </state>
                <state id="Published.to.APIStore">
                </state>
: