On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Senaka Fernando <sen...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Azeez,
>
> More than docs, we need to consider the user experience aspect. People are
> using these things in real production environments. Some have scripted
> their deployments. How much of an effort is it to move from XML to JSON in
> that sense? I think that's not straightforward. Also, we use XML all over
> the place. Ex:- Synapse Config, Registry Handlers, Lifecycles, Endpoints -
> basically everything configuration across every single component is XML.
> Unless everything becomes JSON, the users have to train themselves to do
> two things. So, what looks cool to us does not look so cool to everybody.
> So, its not just kernel that we need to think about, its the whole
> platform. Unless we have a platform-wide move, I'm -0 for this.

I agree with Senaka too. User experience is going to be an issue once
dev-ops try to migrate from C4 to C5. For example we have a customer who
experienced issue while migrating to C4 simply because we had split our
config files and also moved them to different directories etc. This becomes
more complicated with Stratos setup where dev-ops have written scripts etc
to automate deployment. Obviously there will be changes in configs but
moving from xml to JSON is too much of a leap IMO .. Also we cannot add
comments in JSON based config files (if I am not mistaken), plus even a
JSON based config file is going to look clattered once we introduce nested
configurations.!

> [...]
>
> Thanks,
> Senaka.
>
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Afkham Azeez <az...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree on the points everybody has mentioned in support of XML in config
>> files.
>>
>> But it seems that most people still don't understand that Carbon 5 is
>> going to be a major shift. We are removing the Axis2 dependency from the
>> kernel, and minifying the kernel. Lots of things starting from some package
>> structures will be changed. Docs will need updating. From Carbon 4.0 to 5.0
>> is going to be a major leap.
>>
>> Azeez
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Maninda Edirisooriya
>> <mani...@wso2.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I think JSON is more human readable than XML, as it is cleaner than XML.
>>> (I may be wrong as I am familiar with JavaScript) And as Nuwan said we will
>>> not get the "Everything JSON" feeling. But many web developers will be much
>>> familiar with JSON than XML as Jaggery and JavaScript are JSON based. But
>>> there is still a major XML dependancy, that is web services. As all the web
>>> services are still comes with XML, "JSON Everyware" story will not be
>>> complete. So I prefer moving to SOAP based web services to REST/JSON based
>>> system rather than changing configs from XML to JSON. The reason is current
>>> XML configs has no major problem and changing it will course lot of bugs
>>> and support issues. We can postpone this until XML becomes a unpopular
>>> language which will not happen in near future. Until that we can work on
>>> changing message protocols from XML/AXIOM to REST/JSON and improve the
>>> performance and simplicity of the implementation in ESB and AS.
>>>

>>> *Maninda Edirisooriya*
>>> Software Engineer
>>> *WSO2, Inc.
>>> *lean.enterprise.middleware.
>>>
>>> *Blog* : http://maninda.blogspot.com/
>>> *Phone* : +94 777603226

>> *Afkham Azeez*
>> Director of Architecture; WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com
>> Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://www.apache.org/
>> * <http://www.apache.org/>**
>> email: **az...@wso2.com* <az...@wso2.com>* cell: +94 77 3320919
>> blog: **http://blog.afkham.org* <http://blog.afkham.org>*
>> twitter: **http://twitter.com/afkham_azeez*<http://twitter.com/afkham_azeez>
>> *
>> linked-in: **http://lk.linkedin.com/in/afkhamazeez*
>> *
>> *
>> *Lean . Enterprise . Middleware*

> * <http://wso2con.com/>
> *
> *
>
> Senaka Fernando*
> Member - Integration Technologies Management Committee;
> Technical Lead; WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com*
> Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://apache.org
>
> E-mail: senaka AT wso2.com
> **P: +1 408 754 7388; ext: 51736*; *M: +94 77 322 1818

Shariq.
Phone: +94 777 202 225