Hi Danesh,

I also think #4 is proper. This is the way we track transaction
commit/rollback status as well, so if you take a look @ the semantics of
commit, this should be similar. So, ideally every supposedly unit
operation, which happens to invoke other operations will increment the
counter before invoking the subsequent operation and decrement the counter
after it completes. This approach however, needs to be done @ every
handler, component, kernel etc.

Suggestion 05:
Another trick though I'm not sure about the possibility is to track the
transaction depth counter. This counter too will have information as to how
far deep you are inside a transaction. Which is similar to the counter you
are talking about. One catch is that the mount handler pushes this counter
into a stack when it goes into a JDBC mount to make it possible to have
transactions across DBs. To handle this AFAIU, you can also check whether
the mount handler's stack is empty or not. But, I don't see it to be good
idea to have this accessed outside of the kernel, so may be introduce a
method inside the Transaction API of the kernel to explain whether you are
within the terminal operation of a nested query or whether you are infact
inside a nested operation.

Thanks,
Senaka.

--