Hi Tharindu

They both use the same source of data from MaxMind. And the database is
licensed under "CC Attribution-ShareAlike" thus we should attribute them if
we are using it. see [1]

On an on premise deployment customers might want to use a paid service to
get the location so I think we should support that. And to ship with the
product like suggested we can use a free database.

Also when will the location be resolved ? will it be a background task or
are you planing to do it real-time ?

Regards
Jo

[1] http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 8:27 PM, Tharindu Dharmarathna <tharin...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> HI Nuwan,
>
> There are two lightweight databases we can use as I found from [1] and [2]
> and those are open source projects.
>
> [1] - https://freegeoip.net/
> [2] -
> http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/88/how-can-i-determine-the-location-of-a-visitor-to-my-website
>
> Thanks
> Tharindu
>
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Nirmal Fernando <nir...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> @Seshika any thoughts?
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 8:19 PM, Nuwan Dias <nuw...@wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have doubts on using an HTTP API to get these details because,
>>>
>>> 1. It will be costly in terms of performance to call these APIs (and
>>> they might not be free as well).
>>> 2. We have no control nor guarantee on their availability (they can
>>> shutdown whenever they want).
>>> 3. They will only work if the stats visualizing agent (store/publisher)
>>> or DAS has access to internet.
>>>
>>> Can we look for a light-weight open-source database which has region
>>> information based on IP ranges?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> NuwanD.

>>> --
>>> Nuwan Dias
>>>
>>> Technical Lead - WSO2, Inc. http://wso2.com
>>> email : nuw...@wso2.com
>>> Phone : +94 777 775 729

>> Thanks & regards,
>> Nirmal
>>
>> Team Lead - WSO2 Machine Learner
>> Associate Technical Lead - Data Technologies Team, WSO2 Inc.
>> Mobile: +94715779733
>> Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/
>>

> --
>
> *Tharindu Dharmarathna*Associate Software Engineer
> WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
> lean.enterprise.middleware
>
> mobile: *+94779109091 <%2B94779109091>*

*Joseph Fonseka*