How does the webapp manage sessions and security credentials for the remote
HTTP API right now?

We know we need to do something for this for UUF .. we delayed it as a
temporary measure. IIRC also we've had issues previously with session
timeout mismatches and with security creds being not carefully handled so
we need to make sure this is done right (or at least better) this time.

So, what do you guys do right now for these two aspects of making a remote
call from the server?

Sanjiva.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Nandika Jayawardana <nand...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> In case of BPS, what we develop is similar to a web application which
> should be independent of the BPS backend. Idea is that this component has
> to be packaged into PC ( process center ) as well as BPS. Hence, native
> OSGi call's is not sufficient for our requirement.
>
> Regards
> Nandika
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Rasika Perera <rasi...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have came up with this best practise. There are basically two
>> scenarios;
>>
>> 1. When the back-end is belongs to your product(eg. calling BPS runtime).
>>
>> We assume that you have written your JAX-RS based on an OSGi service.
>> JAX-RS will *not* hold any business logic and act as API interface(Facade
>> Pattern). In this case making a network call(AJAX) from UI to your own VM
>> is discouraged. You should use callOsgiService() function on the server
>> side Js.
>>
>> 2. When the back-end is external(eg. calling Twitter API).
>>
>> Here we don't provide any server side feature for handling HTTP calls
>> because this will again abuse and use to call own VM back-ends. You can
>> simply write AJAX calls from UI using $.ajax() in jquery or XMLHttpRequest
>> in client-side Js.
>>
>> * In the edge cases that you really need to make HTTP calls from the
>> server side Js, you can initiate; apache commons 'HttpClient' or java.net
>> 'URLConnection' through Nashorn.
>>
>> * Also you might still need to write JAX-RS APIs for your OSGi services
>> for customers.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rasika
>>
>> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Chathura Ekanayake <chath...@wso2.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So there is not separation between UI back-end and the actual server
>>> (e.g. BPS runtime)? i.e. both always run in the same jvm?

>> With Regards,
>>
>> *Rasika Perera*
>> Software Engineer
>> M: +94 71 680 9060 E: rasi...@wso2.com
>> LinkedIn: http://lk.linkedin.com/in/rasika90
>>
>> WSO2 Inc. www.wso2.com
>> lean.enterprise.middleware

> Nandika Jayawardana
> WSO2 Inc ; http://wso2.com
> lean.enterprise.middleware

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, CEO & Chief Architect; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
email: sanj...@wso2.com; office: (+1 650 745 4499 | +94  11 214 5345)
x5700; cell: +94 77 787 6880 | +1 408 466 5099; voip: +1 650 265 8311
blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/; twitter: @sanjiva
Lean . Enterprise . Middleware