Hi Isuru,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Isuru Perera <isu...@wso2.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> What is the real use case for importing features?
>
> For example, the carbon-datasources [1] depends on carbon-jndi. But Carbon
> JNDI feature is not imported in datasources core feature [2].
>
> But still the datasources bundle will not activate if the jndi feature was
> not already installed. So, there is no need to explicitly import features,
> right?

In the carbon-datasources feature, carbon-jndi should be mentioned as
import-feature. Can you raise a JIRA for this please? When this
(import-feature) is used, then when carbon-datasources is being installed,
it will check the p2-repo for carbon-jndi and install it. Therefore in the
product installation, we do not need to explicitly mentioned to install the
carbon-jndi feature, but carbon-jndi feature reside in the p2-repo.

> Another issue I see with importing features is that we cannot import a
> version range. According to docs [3], we need to specify a version.
>
> For example, the carbon-metrics also need the datasources feature. The
> metrics core component imports carbon datasources using a version range. In
> that case, the metrics component will not activate if the datasources core
> bundle is not there. So, do I still need to import datasources features? By
> doing that, the metrics will depend on a specific version of datasources
> feature, right?

AFAIK in carbon-feature-plugin 2.0.0 onwards, it takes the version matching
range as compatible that is if the version defined is 4.4.0, then it
considers the range as 4.4.0 to 5.0.0. Did you experience any issue when u
define a lower minor version (example: 1.0.0) in the import feature, but
the feature in the p2-repo is of a higher version (say 1.1.0) ?

> If I don't import datasources feature, the metrics feature can work with
> any version of datasources within the import range I have defined.
>
> Please let me know the recommendations we need to follow in order to
> depend on other features.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> [1]