Hi Devs,

We are in the process of restructuring and splitting the puppet modules per
product. As per the initial discussions, we have created separate
repositories per product puppet module and one common repository for puppet
base module.

In order to publish puppet modules to puppet forge, we have decoupled
hieradata from puppet modules using profiles. Now the puppet modules are
capable of running without hieradata for the default profile.

However, it is easier to do deployment using hieradata. The intention of
this mail is to discuss and finalize hieradata location.

Appreciate your feedback on selecting an available option.

Following are the available options:

*1. Use one repository to keep all product hieradata.*
Pros:
- Easy to manage since all the hieradata are in one place.
- No data duplication

Cons:
- Releasing hieradata with a product is not possible.
- Difficult to track changes.

*2. Keep hieradata with platform specific artifact repositories.
(kubernetes, mesos )*
Pros:
- Hieradata can be released with a product.

Cons:
- Possible data duplication.
- Hieradata is a part of puppet and it is not related to mesos or kubernetes
- Have to create repositories to store default hieradata.

*3. Create separate repositories per product to store hieradata. *
Pros:
- Product level hieradata separation.
- Easier to release and track changes.

Cons:
- No of repositories are high.
- User experience will be not good as users will have to clone from
multiple locations.

*4. Keep hieradata in the product puppet module repos with
.pmtignore file. *Pros:
- Minimum changes required.
- Can be released with product puppet modules.

Cons:
- Most of the puppet repos don't contain hieradata
- Puppet recommends keeping  hieradata separately from modules.

--
*Thanks and Regards,*
Anuruddha Lanka Liyanarachchi