Hi Akila,

In puppet modules 2.1.0 release we had the capability to create directories
for a given folder structure [1] and it has used in some products [2]. In
latest puppet changes I could not find that option except the directory
list value [3]. Did we remove that feature on purpose? If not shall we add
that?

[1] -
https://github.com/wso2/puppet-modules/blob/master/modules/wso2base/manifests/configure.pp#L19
[2] -
https://github.com/wso2/puppet-modules/blob/master/hieradata/dev/wso2/wso2das/3.0.1/mesos/default.yaml#L44
[3] -
https://github.com/wso2/puppet-base/blob/master/manifests/configure.pp#L21

Thank you!

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Akila Ravihansa Perera <raviha...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Adding few more details I'd like to highlight;
>
> * - Removed Java 3rd party Puppet module dependency*
> In earlier versions we used an external 3rd party Puppet module for Java
> installation which we thought is not necessary anymore. Therefore we have
> implemented our own Java class without any dependencies.
>
> The only contract between Java module and WSO2 Puppet modules is it should
> install Java JDK on "JAVA_HOME" path. JAVA_HOME is expected as a class
> parameter by all WSO2 Puppet modules and defaults to "/opt/java". Usually
> this is a symlink and actual JDK installation path may differ.
> As a convenience for users we have provided a basic java class in wso2base
> module which takes the JDK from Puppet file bucket, extracts it and sets
> the JAVA_HOME symlink. Java class is *not *contained in any of the WSO2
> Puppet module classes so it has to be added from site.pp. For eg:
>
> ## site.pp
> class { 'wso2base::java' } -> class { 'wso2as' }
>
> This offers greater flexibility for users to plug-in their own Java module.
>

> * - Use of Puppet file server*
> Earlier users had to copy jdk and product packs into respective Puppet
> module's files directory. We have improved Puppet scripts to lookup in
> Puppet file server path as well. For eg: packs are searched in
> <PUPPET_HOME>/files/packs directory which contains packs for all the
> products. This is again a convenience for the users. This applies to
> patches and configs files as well.
> You can try this feature with Vagrant. By default it takes Puppet file
> server path as <PUPPET_HOME>/files directory and pass that as a Puppet
> options parameter [1].
>

> * - Patches structure*
> With the introduction of "patch_list" parameter together with Puppet file
> server support, now you do not need to copy patches to each and every
> Puppet module! Patches are grouped by platform version therefore patches
> dir will be as follows;
>
> <PUPPET_HOME>/files/patches
>         - 4.2.0
>                - patch0001
>
>         - 4.4.0
>                - patch0005
>
> Note that "patch_list" parameter is optional. Meaning, if you keep it
> empty or undef, Puppet will copy all the patches you have placed inside
> respective Puppet module's files/patches/<platform_version>/* directory.
> If you set the "patch_list" as an array, it will search the Puppet file
> server and Puppet module's files bucket for the specified patches. The
> difference is, the latter method will error if any of the specified patches
> are missing. This is useful when you want to ensure that all required
> patches are copied.
>

> [1] https://github.com/wso2/puppet-common/blob/
> 56b34c4c2db11f07dca739f0e92bf1d955cfcb46/vagrant/Vagrantfile#L78
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 5:56 AM, Akila Ravihansa Perera <raviha...@wso2.com
> [...]

*Pubudu Gunatilaka*
Committer and PMC Member - Apache Stratos
Software Engineer
WSO2, Inc.: http://wso2.com
mobile : +94774078049 <%2B94772207163>