Hi Randy,

WSO2 API Manager uses either Apache Thrift [1] [2] [3] which is a binary
communication protocol or Web Service calls for the communication between
gateway and key manager. The default communication protocol of key manager
is Thrift. You can find more information on that from here
<http://thrift.apache.org/static/files/thrift-20070401.pdf> as well.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Thrift
[2] https://thrift.apache.org/
[3] https://github.com/apache/thrift