Hi Randy,

As @Dushani Wellappili <dusha...@wso2.com> has mentioned, WSO2 API Manager
mainly uses the *Thrift *and *WebService* protocols for communication. (Eg:
Communication between Gateway and Key Manager in an API Manager distributed
deployment).

However, Thrift is not recommended to be used in a production environment,
specifically when fronting a key manager cluster by a load balancer such as
Nginx+. The reason for this is that most of the load balancers do not have
session-awareness. Hence it is recommended to use *WSClient *intead of
* Thrift.*

*Thrift * is a service released as an open source Apache project and it was
designed to compete with *SOAP * and *REST*. It was introduced with the
intention of including

   - Scalability
   - Simplicity
   - Speed
   - Evolution

Please find the below resources in addition to the ones stated by Dushani,

[1]
https://wso2.com/library/articles/2015/01/wso2-api-manager-deployment-customization-and-troubleshooting-part-02/

[2]
https://nordicapis.com/microservice-showdown-rest-vs-soap-vs-apache-thrift-and-why-it-matters/

Thanks,
Viduranga.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 8:51 PM Dushani Wellappili <dusha...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> WSO2 API Manager uses either Apache Thrift [1] [2] [3] which is a binary
> communication protocol or Web Service calls for the communication between
> gateway and key manager. The default communication protocol of key manager
> is Thrift. You can find more information on that from here
> <http://thrift.apache.org/static/files/thrift-20070401.pdf> as well.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Thrift
> [2] https://thrift.apache.org/
> [3] https://github.com/apache/thrift
>

> Regards,
>
> *Dushani Wellappili*
> Software Engineer - WSO2
>
> Email : dusha...@wso2.com
> Mobile : +94779367571
> Web : https://wso2.com/
>

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:11 AM Randy Adams <randyadamspar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> When reading through wso2 documentation I see that two protocols called
>> 'Thrift' and 'Binary' are used for certain communication scenarios in API
>> Manager. i.e. Throttle data publishing, Key Validation. [1]
>>
>> But I cannot see any outside external sources about these two protocols.
>> So are these two protocols, just WSO2 Specific ( introduced by WSO2) ? If
>> not, please provide references describing about these two protocols.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://docs.wso2.com/display/AM210/Deploying+WSO2+API-M+in+a+Distributed+Setup#single-Key-Manager-GW
>>
>> --
>> Thanks & Regards,