Craig,

This should be possible already. The python script I wrote uses just
docker, make and curl for some cleanup. It leverages the standard
Makefile for the compilation, go itself is used for the cross
compilation which is there in each install.
The only bit missing is the documentation to describe what needs to be
installed on a linux machine to get the docker cross architecture
build to work.
I know you need at least docker (moby should suffice) and the open
source machine emulator qemu [1]. Besides that nothing is, I think,
needed but some install instructions.

Wilfred

[1] https://www.qemu.org