Thanks Corneau.

1) I downloaded npm according to this website:

2) I tried the "sudo npm install" command again and saw this:

npm WARN package.json zeppelin-web@0.0.0 No repository field.
npm WARN package.json ansi-color@0.2.1 'repositories' (plural) Not
supported. Please pick one as the 'repository' field
npm WARN cannot run in wd zeppelin-web@0.0.0 ./node_modules/bower/bin/bower
--allow-root install (wd=/home/ec2-user/zeppelin-0.4.0/git/zeppelin-web)

3) I tried "mvn clean package" again and I got the same error as
before: [ERROR]
Failed to execute goal com.github.eirslett:frontend-maven-plugin:0.0.16:npm
(npm install) on project zeppelin-web: Failed to run task: 'npm install
--color=false' failed. (error code 1) -> [Help 1]

Thanks for the troubleshooting help, and I appreciate any additional
troubleshooting tips. Thanks!