Github user elbamos commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/incubator-zeppelin/pull/208#issuecomment-195053667

    In R, when a string gets returned to the repl by an expression, it gets
formatted by calling print(). This is why the magic isn't working as you
expect-R is adding formatting. If you write the string with cat() instead of
print, it should work, and I'll fix if it doesn't.

    However, in R, html is generally created using the 'html' class. If an
object of class 'html' is returned by this interpreter, it is passed to
Zeppelin with the %html magic for native display.

    This is necessary to handle some kinds of interactive visualization. It
also means the interpreter will properly display html created by R packages in
the manner the user expects.

    While I'm somewhat open on this issue as well, I'm pretty sure that the
current design is the one that R users will find the most natural.

    > On Mar 10, 2016, at 3:59 PM, Jeff Steinmetz <notificati...@github.com>
wrote:

    > This doesn't work as I would expect:
    >
    > %r
    > print("%html <h1>HTML Works</h1>")
    > and %table, %md, etc
    > Shouldn't this work similar to other interpreters, and support the
zeppelin display system?

    > this returns rendered html in pyspark
    >
    > %pyspark
    >
    > print("%html <h1>HTML Works</h1>")