On 07/12/2011 01:38 PM, Vishal Kher wrote:
Thanks. Looking forward to reading the paper.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Alexander Shraer<shra...@yahoo-inc.com>wrote:

Hi Vishal,

At the meeting I presented the general approach I'm following to implement
reconfiguration in ZK. If I understood correctly, the concern was broadly
that there are a lot of cases to consider and that correctness is
non-trivial. We agreed that I'll prepare a detailed writeup of the protocol
and changes made to ZK. I believe that this should address most of the
concerns.

The positive points raised in the meeting were that the method offers
minimal interruption to service during reconfiguration, uses normal ZK
operation flow, and does not require modifications to other ZK operations.

Best Regards,
Alex

Thank you Alex for working on this - sounds really useful. Another thing I remember from the dev meeting was Ted Dunning mentioning porting everything to Clojure rather than Scala (since the original meeting notes mentioned, in jest, porting to Scala). A Clojure port would allow storing Zookeeper configuration state using Clojure's software transactional memory system (see http://clojure.org/concurrent_programming) I thought that was a very interesting idea!

-Eugene