This message is to throw the idea and get a sense of what people think, especially the ones working closely on it like Alex, about creating a branch for the reconfiguration work. The rationale for proposing it is the following. In our experience with Zab last year, we implemented modifications that introduced a bunch of critical bugs. I'm not sure whether we could have been more careful, maybe so, but my perception is that it is not unusual to introduce such bugs once one touches upon a large chunk of core code. Perhaps it would have been better to develop it on the side and test more before merging.

For reconfiguration, it sounds like we will be touching a big chunk of core code again, so I wonder if it makes sense to work on a separate branch, test, and merge once we are convinced. I must also say that I understand that merging branches can be quite a pain, so I would completely understand if the general feeling is that it outweighs the benefits.

Thanks,
-Flavio