Github user revans2 commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/453

    @anmolnar I added in an updated version of the test in #310. The issue
turned out to be a race condition where the original leader would time out
clients and then would join the new quorum too quickly for the test to be able
to detect it.  I changed it so there is a hard coded sleep instead and then
just shut down the leader.  I would love to get rid of the hard coded sleep,
but I wasn't really sure how to do it without making some major changes in the
leader code to put in a synchronization point.  If you really want me to do it
I can, but it felt rather intrusive.

    I verified that when I comment out my code that does the fast forward the
test fails and when I put it back the test passes.  If this looks OK I'll try
to port the test to the other release branches too.

    I also addressed your request to make some of the code common.

---