Hi Prasanth,

Great to hear, welcome to the community! :)
Here is how I started: I forked Apache/ZooKeeper (
https://github.com/apache/zookeeper) to my own github repository. You can
make the changes on your own fork, for example on master. When you are
done, you can create a pull request on github, you'll find the button for
it when you are looking at your branch on the website.

There is quite a few open issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/ZOOKEEPER/issues/
You can also create new jira's. For starters, I would recommend some very
basic change, if you don't find any in the already open jira's, just create
one (fixing a test is a good start).

Basically this is all you need to start.
When you checkout ZooKeeper, you can run "ant eclipse" which will generate
a .project file for you, you can also import it in idea. (If you haven't
already)

Unit tests run for an extended time due to mixing unit tests with
integration tests (there is a plan to seperate them). So be vary.

Once you create a pull request, we will review it (usually reviews come
quite quick, but you can ping us here in the mailing list).
A committer will need to commit your change. This could take more time due
to various reasons (for example we are in the middle of a new release right
now).

Also, it is probably a good idea to also have the fix for older branches
like 3.5 and 3.4, but usually 3.5 is compatible with master, and 3.4 is not
always required. Just create the PR for master and we will have.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Norbert