I think it is better to continue to create a specific branch for each
release.
There is no strong motivation for changing this part of the procedure.

I would say that we should clean up and drop such branches after the
completion of the release process, only the signed git tag will stay.

I will update the new procedure with this step.
I will create a branch-3.6.0 branch as usual.

Thanks to Andor for bringing up this useful discussion

Enrico