On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 02:15:20PM -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:44:57 +0300, Alexander Shopov wrote:
>>
>>I checked driver man pages in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/*/*.man
>>Almost every driver implements the options:
>>HWCursor, SWCursor however they are documented differently.
>
>Further, having two separate options is silly.  It is a two-state switch:
>either the driver tries to use a HW cursor, or it always forces a SW
>cursor.  What happens if you specify both, or neither?  I'll bet different
>drivers come to different conclusions.

The presence of both is probably historical.  Some drivers have one,
some both.  The mga driver seems to define both, but only checks one.

If you specify neither, the driver should default to "whatever works
best".  That's the driver's call, but it should generally be HW cursor
when available.

Specifying both would be "undefined" in general, if both were specifying
contrary behaviour.

One way to handle the naming more uniformly might be to define the
concept of option aliases, with, say, "SWCursor" aliased to "NoHWCursor".
That would make the "specifying both" behaviour well-defined too.

It'd be nice to check driver options for consistency from time to time.
It'd be even nicer if driver writers checked existing usage before making
up new option names.  A while ago we started documenting preferred option
names and their behaviour in the xfree86/Registry file.  There is also
an xfree86/Options file that was added later.

Back to the original point, the documentation of these options in the
driver man pages should match how they are handled by the individual
drivers.  Specifically, the documented defaults may legitimately be
different for different drivers.

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com