Laszlo,

I am very glad to you for expressing a different opinion as this lets me view
the situation from different angles.

I understand your concerns, and believe that most of them should actually be
addressed in a way you explain. In fact, I plan to submit more patches myself
for everyone's benefit.

The exact situation with static assertions is that they are not coming too
early, but actually too late. We have been using static assertions in UEFI code
for quite some time already, and I believe we are not alone. All of us will
benefit from legacy code removal once this patch lands upstream.

For your claim that this code is not well tested I should mention that the
patch is based on one of the open-source projects I maintain, which everyone
can track, and which I believe have gotten reasonable attention from different
people with different compilers.

For dead code I believe that in EDK II we do not have a good definition for
that term as normally done in serious industrial projects like aerospace or
military that have no dead code requirement in their SDL. Primarily because EDK
II is a library for others to rely on, it is not a self contained system where
dead code term is usually defined, standardised and verified against.

Whether it is liked or not, the fact EDK II gets continual development is only
because different companies, academia, and individuals use its code. I feel bad
for these people having to fork, and believe that most value in EDK is what it
gives to the outside, not the inside. So supporting a new interface a number of
projects use and need makes most sense to me.

I do not want to make more changes to core code for multiple reasons as you see
above. One of them indeed being some necessary discussion for the use inside
EDK II. But I do not believe this a good stopper from giving a working
interface to others, which unlike EDK II, actually have defined compilers,
infrastructure, and requirements.

Hopefully I pointed out to enough reasons to leave you with some doubts and
permit this patch to land in as an exception from your personal standpoint.
Thank you for understanding and being constructive.

Cheers,
Vitaly