On 11/06/19 17:15, Andrew Fish wrote:

>> On Nov 6, 2019, at 3:56 AM, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/06/19 00:19, Jeff Brasen wrote:
>>> Wouldn't having a variable that we create and delete on every boot put
>>> unnecessary stress on the SPI-NOR that the variable store lives on?
>>
>> Yes, it most likely would.
>
> Should we write a BZ for the variable stack not to update a  variable if the
> data is not changing?

I'm not certain that, in this case, the write action would re-populate
exactly the same Boot#### variable with exactly the same data. It seems
like in the above, UefiBootManagerLib would create a new variable, and
then the PlatformBootManagerLib instance would make it disappear.

I don't think we should push down the recognition of the above pattern
to the variable driver -- the connection should be made at a higher
logical level. Ultimately, both UefiBootManagerLib and
PlatformBootManagerLib get linked into BdsDxe, so the current limitation
is due to API boundaries that we've created ourselves.

Thanks
Laszlo