From: Andrew Fish<mailto:af...@apple.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:48 PM
To: edk2-devel-groups-io<mailto:devel@edk2.groups.io>; Bret
Barkelew<mailto:bret.barke...@microsoft.com>
Cc: Ken Taylor<mailto:ken_tay...@phoenix.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [edk2-devel] ECC: Won't somebody PLEASE think of the...
test structures.

Bret,

I’ve had this issue with EFI code too. It will compile with for DEBUG and
RELEASE as the optimizer removes the memcpy/memset. So you only see a build
failure when you compiler NOOPT (and there are no intrinsic libs). I mostly see
this in platform code when I try to compile a single driver/lib NOOPT and it
fails to link due to the missing intrinsic.

The easy to enforce this is to compile with optimizations enabled and don’t
enable intrinsic libs. Not sure if that is really practical from the test point
of view.

Seems the tool caught the coding style violation so I guess we could try to
“make running that tool easier”. Maybe hooking into patchcheck.py, making some
kind of githook, or adding a git command?

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

On Sep 24, 2020, at 7:25 PM, Bret Barkelew via
groups.io<https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.io%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cbret.barkelew%40microsoft.com%7Cd438e9952e1c476285f608d860fd7e71%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C637365989149774199&sdata=SaAatm8guPgl%2F63Sc%2B0AAbReBqeBPuKBJZjAmEWstU8%3D&reserved=0>

<bret.barkelew=microsoft....@groups.io<mailto:bret.barkelew=microsoft....@groups.io>>
 wrote:

So for context, this is a new host-based test that should only run within a
platform OS, so intrinsics aren’t the big deal that they would be in FW code.

But we do need to figure out how to simultaneously adhere to the coding
convention while enabling test authoring.
Or we chose to not enforce quite as many things for tests.

I’d prefer the first.

- Bret