On Wed, Mar 02, 2022 at 08:39:28AM +0000, Kilian Kegel wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>
> additionally I would suggest once more to adjust the DLINK_FLAGS in
> tools_def.txt to hold CompilerNameINTRIN32/64.LIB as a search library
> as already introduced in
> https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/86072?p=%2C%2C%2C20%2C0%2C0%2C0%3A%3ACreated%2C%2Ckilian%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C87479913
> (here is the entire thread
> https://edk2.groups.io/g/devel/message/86334?p=%2C%2C%2C20%2C0%2C0%2C0%3A%3ACreated%2C%2Cposterid%3A2193857%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C87479913)
>
> In that case you don’t need to take the IntrinsicLibrary into the .INF file,
> because the intrinsic library is in the compiler’s library search path.
> That has annoyed UEFI developers world wide for more that a decade.

Having to add the IntrinsicLibrary to the .inf file is annoying indeed.

Just using the compiler intrinsics doesn't work in all cases though,
so I see no way around providing our own intrinsics library.

> With your solution can you compile + link the body of main() given below in a
> PEI driver on all targets?
> Really?

Nope.  These patches simply move the existing intrinsics from ArmPkg and
CryptoPkg as starting point.  They are known to be incomplete.

I expect we'll add more functions as needed in the future.

We can surely debate if and how we can use the compiler's intrinsic
library instead our own implementation for the cases where it works.

Having a core intrinsics lib should actually make that kind changes
easier,  There will be one central place where you can tweak which
intrinsic functions are provided by edk2, so coordinating that with
DLINK_FLAGS updates should be easier than today.

take care,
  Gerd